Sunday, February 3, 2008

The Yellow Factor

Every yellow character in the whole world is plagued by the yellow factor. The yellow factor, bane of the existence of many happy people and the only slight on an otherwise productive and wonderful social life, is what drives otherwise perfectly emotionally balanced yellows into reclusion, avoiding contact with any other human being of the opposite gender unless it be a smile or a handshake. It terrorizes humanity, and many are left bereft of happiness because of it. Yes, as I have alluded, this involves the happiness of people in the dating pattern, because that is what I talk about, so there.

It's always been interesting to me to observe how many people show their interest in others, speaking of a romantic or at least more than friends type interest. There is the nervous type, who the minute the liked person walks into the room they barrage everyone with an incessant flow of verbology. Then there are the exuberant type, who assaults the person that they like with compliments. There are the shy types, who avoid any and all actual signs of liking someone, such as a smile, making eye contact. There are even those that hide any liking behind a joke.

Mine is a strange road, the type of attraction I have and the way I show it. I like to think that all truly yellow types follow a very similiar path, one that to others, may be considered deceiving. The problem lies in the actual happiness and yellowness of my character. You see, the yellow factor is simply this: those who are happy, and act out of happiness of being with people (and therefore out of a sometimes shallow, sometimes deep love) must by nature confuse all those of opposite gender around them. Explanation: people who naturally are happy to see others and are willing to act so about anyone they are happy to see are more practiced in making others feel good, and so are more capable of doing so, in a broad sense. My point is that yellows have the odd habit (unintentional, I assure) of having many people believe that the yellow person likes them. Loving a yellow personality is a dangerous prospect, because everyone loves them, and because the happiness that they portray at seeing many people is often very sincere, it becomes nearly impossible to tell only from the social clues they give if there is any real regard on their part. It's the Yellow Factor.

I've known lots of wonderful yellow people in my life, who had an enchanting, quick smile and laugh, eager for good times and good company. I have had a crush (could you call this having loved?) on many of them, for just those reasons. The accompanying appreciation that they have for many souls endears them to many, and gives hope to people who otherwise might not dare to venture much past a head nod. I think yellows make the world a better place, but they also fall prey to the Yellow Factor. I realize that this sound like self praise as I am very verbally yellow, but honestly I am thinking of girls that I have known who are such. Fwidipan, who I don't think can be described as a complete yellow but certainly has some very amberish leanings, is one such person and is known of having people love her wherever she goes. I don't mean to embarrass her in particular, merely I wish to express that there are plenty of yellow peoples around that fall into this category. That is why, my friends, when loving a yellow, it is best to determine what is truly felt by open communication.

This Yellow Factor leads to some hardship, to be sure. I have come to realize, both through reading and personal acquaintance, that actions and words can often be interpreted in ways that are not completely adherent to the truth. While on a date I explained to my partner of the evening that I have the tendency to not show my complete personality to anyone until I get to know them better, to which she replied "so you're telling me you're a slow mover?" I'm not sure that's the best thing to ask a guy on a date (unless you'd really prefer they weren't), but I digress. The truth is that my motivation for saying that was to point out that my date most likely didn't know me, just a half me, polished and presented to the world to ensure that rejection is not complete, and that if my partner really wanted to know me, she would have to be willing to dig. See, there was a miscommunication (one that, I'm sad to say, was never really understood). The point of that whole paragraph was to say that we can be mislead by our perception of people, and that one must be careful not to fall prey to the Yellow Factor, to believe that a yellow is in love with you when, really, they are just nice people.

It becomes really hard to not have problems when a yellow is a close friend. By some divine blessing many of these wonderful people have the best shoulders for crying, the most understanding words, the most comforting hugs. It's hard not to fall in love with anyone like that, and it's hard for that type of people not to give the comfort. I have known no distress like feeling I could not comfort a close friend, for fear of that person believing that I was interested romantically in her. Perhaps this paranoia on my part is unfounded, and often I have crossed a rather uncomfortable boundary in order to play the role of comforting friend. Time only will tell whether or not I was wise to do so.

Does this blog make any sense? Perhaps I haven't really said anything that others don't already know, and perhaps there will be few who really understand what I'm saying (seeing as I have a rather rambling rhetoric in this blog). I was expecting to be humorous, but I'm afraid that I came off altogether too serious. But there it is, my friends. Beware the yellow factor. People who are loved by all are dangerous indeed.

1 comment:

Annie said...

Well, as a yellow, I'm sure you could make ALL the women unite. But watch out for the random love poems and high heels. ;)