Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Blogging Woes

This blogathon has created a serious introspection into the art of blogging. I've learned a lot about why I enjoy blogging so much, and how often things I write can take on a completely different meaning than I was intending. The misinterpretation of blogs can lead to very lively conversations, and some very awkward situations. So, I now list my blogging woes.

Woe the First: It's very easy to say more than I want known. This leads to awkward conversations. For instance, I might confess that a friend (and because I don't want to embarass her I won't mention her name) told me that her gall bladder looks very fetching, or maybe that I have some serious intestinal problems (I don't), or that I actually like someone. When I reveal deep and slightly darkened secrets like this (sometimes in such a way that even I don't realise that I'm sharing them until after later), it can create uncomfortable situations, like someone cornering me about my intestinal problems (I usually use them as an excuse to vacate the area though.). Oh, woe is the blog.

Woe the Second: When I do reveal the secrets of my heart, the person who I was hoping would understand normally doesn't. It's a great irony, one that can be cruel. Most people will think I'm making reference to crushes, but actually I most often write to be understood by close friends, and very rarely have I written a blog precisely so that someone I had or have a crush on might understand me better. Not to say that my crushes aren't good friends. The point is, people don't understand what I write. A good example is the blog "Screaming Silence," which I'm told would be a good name for a horror movie, but that's beside the point. Not one person out of all the people that I hoped would understand a small portion of me through that poem really got the point. Just one is okay (especially because I wrote the poem to specifically avoid bluntly saying what I was trying to say), but often it's the case with many of my blogs. Oh, woe are those blogs.

Woe the third: Inspiration isn't like a tap for me. I don't have an on switch. Seriously! Though this blogathon was my idea and I'm sticking to it, I honesly struggle to come up with a blog that is either interesting or funny or both (as is evidenced by my latest editions), and I feel like the quality of my writing is slipping, when really I just haven't processed everything well enough yet. It's woeful.

Woe the Fourth: Blogging takes away from my popcorn time.

Woe the Fifth: Even though writing is more likely to represent my true self, I still miss the mark to give a true representation of my soul. Perhaps most people can see it anyway, but the person who's trapped under my epidermis is different than the one out on the blogging stage. At least I think he is. Either way, I wish to give a true representation, and alas and alak, I do not.

Woe the sixth: Blogs can create a sense of guilt, even though I only write them for my own enjoyment. If the blog is not witty, or if it is not long enough, or unique enough, then I feel anguish over the failure to improve. That is just wrong.

Anyway, this is a woey blog. What's more, I don't have time nor the inclination to run the spell check, which means you get this in it's raw form, without revisions. Enjoy.

3 comments:

Annie said...

Well, now you went and made me want popcorn. As for your woes, I do believe you are entitled to them.

Katie said...

The interesting thing I discovered by majoring in creative writing was that almost nobody has an "on" switch when it comes to inspiration. Or if they do, it's something they have to forcibly push up to switch on. (If that makes any sense)

Anonymous said...

It is visible, not destiny.