Friday, April 4, 2008

Two Questions

"If you run your hand along the rail, watch for bird poop."

This blog is a little different than normal. Mostly because this time, instead of me telling you my thoughts, I would like to know yours. I have two political questions that are interesting me lately, and I would like to know all of your thoughts. And so I pose you these questions. Seeing as these questions are in affect yes or no, an explanation is of course desirable.

First: Do illegal immigrants have any sort of contract to obey the laws of the country in which they are residing?

Second: Is illegal immigration a capitalistic institution?

I have a few thoughts on these subjects (which I’m sure will be forthcoming). But I’m curious of your ideas. Let the debate begin.

2 comments:

Annie said...

Question #1 – Yes and No. No, because nobody has to obey the laws of a country (what we like to refer to as agency). Illegal Immigrants have already disobeyed the laws by entering outside the proper procedures. However, the question can also be answered with a yes. If the immigrant wishes to stay in the country, they must follow the laws or they will be deported (if their illegal immigration is discovered). The sad truth is that many don’t follow the laws provided, which I will write about in the next answer.

Question #2 – I believe it is. It is said that the illegal immigrants are “doing the work that Americans won’t”, meaning less desirable jobs and lower than minimum wage pay. The sad part is that not only are the immigrants working illegally, but the employers are being unscrupulous as well. Many of them pay their employees in cash, or off-the-books. How can this be anything but a win-win situation for them? They can hire more employees for less pay which raises productivity levels and profit, they pay in cash (avoiding all tax issues), and they have no repercussion from the government because everything is undocumented. Isn’t that unadulterated capitalism in and of itself? Businesses owning and using wealth with no government control. It’s also a winning situation for the immigrant, because having no documentation of payment makes them appear to have little or no income, therefore qualifying them for welfare. Looking at it in this light, yes, I do believe illegal immigration can be a capitalistic institution.

Anonymous said...

1: No...that's why they are illegal.

2: I think so. It is too hard for Americans to check up on their background (if it is a large company). Also...many Americans hire them because it is cheaper.