Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Once Again

I was recently shocked to discover that there are blogs of people that I actually know in real life that are dedicated completely to dating. I thought that I was the only one who was compulsive and obsessive enough to actually write as much as I do about dating and relationships and the general turmoil of my soul that results in these blogs that are often contradictory and rather incoherent. Indeed, shocked I was. As was Yoda. However, I was afterward told by a good friend that really, dating is an important element of the lives of people found in my circumstance (that is, single, not dating anyone seriously, and being told by society that we are all freaks and should have some good sense beat into us, even if it must be done with awkward moments and bad dating experiences). How I love our culture!

This blog is actually not about the adverse effects of society on my sanity. No, indeed, that argument is nearly impossible to truly take one side or the other, seeing as my sanity was already in question long before I ever entered the arena of "on the market." A coworker referred to a recently engaged person as "off the market," which was an accurate reflection of common opinion, though I admit I don't appreciate the feeling behind the words. Once again, I digress.

Have you ever noticed that during life we have love cycles? I wrote about them in "Provoking" which was not received with open arms, but the principle was still a true one. Jewelsp suggested that the dark parts of the cycle, the times when no one is appealing as a romantic interest, come at moments when one is hurt and recovering. It's easy to understand how a broken heart would have a hard time risking injury again. Those moments of complete romantic abstinence are only part of the cycle, though. I understand that some people have learned to avoid those ugly parts well, and get through them quickly. However, it is still part of a cycle, and one that is pretty violent in my life. In one day I can go through and entire cycle. Starting out where all and every attractive girl is a romantic interest, then where it settles on one particularly attractive person, the hopes (of that day, week, month, year) then begin to be formed, then either satisfied or crushed. If satisfied, there's a small circle back to the hopes part, and more hopes are built up and either satisfied or crushed. If the hopes of the person in the cycle are crushed, then it seems natural to move into a period of hurt.

This hurt takes many forms. To start off, most people seem to just feel hurt. They feel weak and incapable of reaching out to anyone (and most of the time feel the need to have someone reaching out to them). Then the defense mechanisms set in. Some people have the destructive sort of mechanism, either loathing of all around them or self loathing, where no one is good enough or they'll never be good enough. Frustration abounds, and yes, I have been in this stage before, and I'm very familiar with the easy transition from the ache to anger. Not a good way to go, really. There are other defense mechanisms, such as hiding pain and making yourself busier. You might try acting as if nothing is the matter, or one might even act more cheerful than before.

Eventually there is something that brings the sharp realization that you have a problem. Oh, by the way, I'm talking to myself here. If it just so happens that none of what I've said applies to you (it might just be likely), you may discount what I've said, because this is all to get ready for what this blog is really about, anyway. When the realization comes that you are hurt, and that you need healing, there's lots of places to seek it. There are plays that help you work through emotions that are portrayed on stage that are similar to the ones you have, there are scriptures and prayer for greater understanding, light, and compassion, there are a multitude of things that help us feel what we have to feel in order to begin healing.

Once healing begins, we make a slow climb to the top of the cycle, with little encouragements here and there, a smile, a friendly hello and hug, a random phone call or email. Whatever the way, we end up once again attracted to everyone (and attractive to lots of people, I might add), and in love not only with other people but also in love with life and ourselves.

Now, I wrote all of that so I could write the next part:

Love songs are a natural stimulant of this cycle. Seriously! Love songs encourage love in general, which helps us be interested in everyone. I say that loosely, of course. If everyone was interested in everyone the world would be as crazy as I am. Love songs also push towards singular attraction: that special feeling toward a special someone. Yes, love songs can be the catalyst to push a young man or woman to action.

This is usually where love songs get me in trouble. That might be because some songs are clearly written for some types of people. A song that features long blond hair has me forgetting all about the brunette beauties that I know. And don't even get me started about eye color. Plus, there are certain songs that just go with specific personalities. Argue with me if you will, but the truth is that some songs just match!

Is it bad that I'm convinced into love by a song?

Anyway, love songs also help us past the hopeful stage, either in the direction of satisfaction and enjoyment of being preferred and preferring another's company, or into the crushing of hopes. Do you think hopes give out a juice when they're crushed? I think it must be a pretty sour one.
Mostly, for me, love songs make me face the fact that I don't have the relationships that my overactive imagination would have me believe that I have. I sing or listen to the words and say "gosh, that's not my life." And then a tear falls. Oh, so sad.

Love songs can also help one feel the emotions needed for healing to begin, and even instill new hope. I love love songs.

My personal love cycle might be described a little like this:

"Feeling Good" -- "Come to Me, Bend to Me" -- "You Don't Know Me" -- "Alejate" -- "If I Can't Love Her" -- "She Was There" -- "Feeling Good."

That's about what my last cycle through love songs was. Even one song can go through almost all of the stages of this cycle. Fore example, "If I Can't Love Her" features hopes and aspirations, the darkness of despair, anger about hurt, and the defense mechanism of cutting one's self off from the world. It's an amazingly bitter song, but it helps to get a lot of emotion out when one sings it.

So, there it is, once again, a story about something to do with love. I wanted to write something different, I really did, but my life is distraught right now with all the tests and various activities that are going on. So, if you didn't enjoy this, I'm not sorry, because I liked writing it.

So there.

2 comments:

Annie said...

I agree.

Katie said...

So interestingly enough, I find myself both loving and hating love songs. I love them for the sense of delicious anticipation I create.

And when I hate them, I hate them because they are omnipresent after breakups. It's like a poor, hurting soul can't get away from them!!

(In fact, ahem, I recall throwing certain objects at the radio after a particularly bad breakup, while bellowing that LOVE DOESN'T WORK LIKE THAT . . .)