Monday, February 4, 2013

Art Projects

Here are some of the art projects I'm doing.  For those of you who don't know I'm taking a ceramics class and I'm working on a few projects right now.  I wanted to wait until I had a finished product to show you but figured, with ceramics, you never know how the glazing is going to turn out.  I decided I would put these up now and if I like the glaze, I'll update this post =)

This first project is a double walled pot.  There are two walls which mean I can carve through the outside wall and the inside wall remains intact. 

Stage 1: This is the pot after I have thrown it on the wheel 

 Stage 2:  I then drew my design on the outside layer and carved out some pieces.  As you can see, my outside wall is really thick.  It was my first one so I'm not freaking out about it, but the next one I do, my outside wall will be a lot thinner.


Stage 3:  Then I carved out my dragon.  The handles on the sides are the flames coming out of the dragons mouth.  I have the exact same dragon on the other side blowing flames to make the handle on the other side.  

Stage 4 and 5:  Next step is to let it dry and then bisque fire it, and then last step is to glaze it.  We will have to see how that turns out.  At this moment I have no idea how I want to glaze it.


HONEY

Another pot I am working on is a honey pot.  I want to make several of these so this one is just a trial of things I want to try.  I'm not totally happy how it is turning out (the handles don't quite work and the HONEY sign sticks out too much) but I will know for my next ones.  I do like the flower and bee though.  Once again, we will just have to see how the glaze will turn out.







WINDOWS

People here in the east like to throw a lot of useful things out on their curbs.  One thing is old windows.  I have seen some pretty things done with old windows so I decided I would have a go at it.  This is my final product with one of the windows I grabbed.  It took me four months to finally get the whole thing together.  Bless David for letting me keep these windows leaning up against the wall for that long.  We really don't have much room and they were definitely in the way so thank you Hubby for supporting me.  I think it would look better on an accented wall but that will just have to wait.

2 comments:

Valli & Coleman McVea said...

I am so impressed with your ceramics!!! I love your bracelet and can't wait when you are closer and can help me learn that art.

Mike and Erin said...

The dragon one's my favorite! Awesome! Also, the honey pot is wonderful, although I must admit it would be funny if you had spelled it "hunny" like on Winnie the Pooh. :)