Friday, October 9, 2009

Degradation

I believe that one should support his president. Oddly enough, that might make me a hypocrite for what I am about to say. That being said, I continue on in my current train of thought.

I recognize President Obama's amazing story as one that epitomizes the American dream, a man being able to become anything he works towards. The mere fact of his being the first African American president makes him noteworthy, and that accomplishment should stand recorded in history throughout the ages. Having said that, I become increasingly concerned about the world society, and what is being lauded as heroic. As I understood it, the Nobel Peace Prize is something that has stood as a symbol of the heroes that often go unnoticed, ordinary people who have done extraordinary things to further the cause of humanity and peace.

Words, for me, and especially words that have had little time for impact, are nothing if not backed up with the action required to make those ideas become actual results. Awarding President Obama seems to be awarding words, not actions. I guess I shouldn't be too surprised. The Nobel Peace Prize committee awarded that illustrious prize to Al Gore in 2007. It was rumored (apparently the nominees are kept secret for fifty years) that at the same time Irena Sendler had been nominated. Al Gore made a movie. Irena Sendler was instrumental in smuggling out or assisting over two thousand Jews to escape the Warsaw ghetto in Nazi occupied Poland. If the Nobel Peace Prize committee truly chose Al Gore over Irena Sendler, it would be a clear message that merely talking about current "popular" issues is a much better thing for humanity than saving thousands of children.

I believe President Obama could do great things in his presidency. I believe that many of his ideas could become very positive policy for America, and greatly influence the world. What I am sad about is that a prize that I saw as something special for heroes who have done great things is becoming a lip service for popular politicians.

No comments: