Saturday, October 13, 2007

Dating Eccentricities

Yes, I know, friends, that an abnormal amount of my blogs happen to focus around the art of courtship (also known as dating), and that this focus is starting to concern many of you. I'm sorry to say that, like a musician harps upon the same thing over and over, my hope is that by analyzing dating minutely, I will one day be able to do it well. That's the idea, anyway. So, never fear, I am not emotionally disturbed.

I chose the topic of dating today because I made a promise to pelirojo that some day I would explain a rather unique point of view that I have. People understand, and you could even say believe, in polygamy, even though they don't admit it or realise it. WHOA! Slow down, there, Major. I think I'm getting ahead of myself. I am in no way saying that we ought to practice polygamy. I can think of any number of reasons why not, the strain on the man or the women being perhaps the biggest one, but I am saying that many people believe in it, even if it's not practiced.

I discovered this after some very observative observation. Can I say that? I was walking from class to class, in my usual cheerful manner, when I happened upon a sight, very common to behold. That's right, I beheld one guy walking with a girl on either side. The normality of this scene was such that I didn't even pause to think about it. But, as I walked and noted not one, two, or even three, but four incidents of the same image, my mind was caught away to ponder upon the intricacies of modern courtship. Truly, it was an interesting image. The most interesting part about it was that the girls didn't seem to mind, and the guy was definitely not opposed, in any of the situations that I saw. Add to this what I beheld last saturday. I was leaving the racquetball arena of the gym, when lo and behold, one guy was playing with two girls. He was losing. But, that was beside the point. The point was that another male arrived on the scene, and I thought "ah, a chance to even the odds!" What a surprise, then when the newcomer was treated coldly, almost as an intrusion. And not just by the other male, but by the females as well. (Is it insulting to refer to a woman as a female?) It was then that my incubated thought broke free of the shell like prison that held it bound, and I realised that the world in general gives the Mormons an exaggerated amount of grief, seeing as most of them believe in it. Once again, I firmly decree that I am in no way trying to push polygamy. I'm just making an observation about odd courtship routines.

Another thing that leads to great confusion is the shoulder pat. I have decided that the universal way a girl tries to tell a guy that she likes him is a shoulder pat. Honestly, this makes me in particular feel like a dog, or some other type of pet. It's almost as if girls have the innate desire to touch those they like (which is understandable and natural), but the shoulder pat is decidedly insensitive. It doesn't fulfill my needs, that's for sure. Then again, a hug might be something that says a little too much and fulfills too many needs, so maybe it's a good thing if we stay with the shoulder pat. If any of you wonderful readers can come up with a plausible replacement for the shoulder pat, I'd love to hear it. Then maybe I can tell the three girls that like me so my shoulder can stop being bruised.

Really, dating is fun. If you think about all of the eccentricities it puts us through, all with the objective of filling a gap and having a good time, I think it's well worth the effort. So, here's hoping you all go out and get your shoulder patted, and good luck to all those non polygamist practicing polygadating!

1 comment:

Kate Felt, MA. MFT said...

Sorry major but I think there are many flaws in this theory of yours.
I see where you are going with it but than you would have to say that same thing to people like Rachel and me who basically all we hang out with are boys and than what does that make us??? Smart?
Just kidding but really I don’t think that you have proved any point at all.
Sorry, maybe now you can talk to me about it.